First is fundamentally changing the real estate industry. We believe that operational excellence will be key to our success and will be driven by constant improvement as well as bold game changing innovations.
As one of our early engineers, you’ll help guide key design, architecture, and technology decisions. You will be a part of our platform team, helping us to build a platform to support our customer-facing and internal applications. You will help us to scale the system to meet the needs of our expanding userbase. This includes driving the product roadmap, bringing “design thinking” on product features, coordinating development efforts across the team, and working with the front-end team to ensure that our efforts are aligned.
What you bring to the table
* 5+ years of developing Rails applications in production :
* SQL and relational database experience (not just using a database through an ORM)
* Experience in building APIs (REST at least, GraphQL a plus)
* Familiarity with software architecture principles
* Passion for startups and building products that will be used to change the face of real estate
* Generalist mindset, excited to jump into many parts of the stack to ship working software
* You can develop features without hand-holding in Rails, diving down into the database level as needed
* Clear, effective communication skills, both written and verbal
* Experience with agile practices, including TDD/BDD, continuous delivery, object oriented design, etc
* Comfort with asynchronous development: pull requests, chat, email, etc
Extra bonus points for
* Sidekiq (or another background job system integrated with Rails)
* GraphQL experience
* DevOps skills (Ansible and/or AWS cloud a plus)
* Front-end experience (especially React)
* Mobile development experience
* Proficiency in GitHub flow
* Experience with pair programming (remote or in-person)
* Open source contributions, side projects and gems (edited)
First is a venture-backed technology company at the intersection of artificial intelligence and real estate. We are building the operating system for real estate agents and intend to fundamentally change how real estate agents manage their most important asset - their network.
Our core product helps agents win listings from their network through more timely, targeted, and personalized outreach. We have won industry awards, and plan to stay at the forefront of innovation in this dynamic industry.
Why we love it here